Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Yankee Candle's Exotic Bloom: Candle Review









Today I am reviewing Yankee Candle's 22oz. large jar candle in the scent Exotic Bloom. It has one of the loveliest bright red colored waxes I've seen and it pools out to a molten cherry color. On the label there is an array of tropical foliage to get the burner in the mood for the vibe of this candle!

The scent description on this candle reads: Deep in the tropical night, the seductive perfume of island flora creates an air of mystery and romance. This has to be one of the most nondescript "stories" that I have read in a while from Yankee--who are very much fans of giving their customers a "mindset" of the candle rather than the scent notes. I guess they want to leave the interpretation up to their consumers. It's like one of those inkblot tests; "So, what do YOU see in this picture...?"

Cold Sniff: On cold sniff, this candle is right up my alley. I love fresh, powdery smells and this candle delivers just that. This candle is part of Yankee's Fresh collection, and I would have to agree. It is indeed fresh. Since there are no scent notes to guide me, I will say that it smells similar to Yankee Candle's Blue Hydrangea. It's got that powdery very light floral in the sense of hydrangeas, lilacs, tulips, magnolias~ that type of floral. It's very true for spring and even summer. This candle has a certain dewy aspect to it and it is a very congenial smell. I think most people would like it-it isn't offensive or cloying. I figured by its lighter fragrance that it would be a light thrower.

Hot Throw: Blown away about this scent performance! After burning several what seemed to be unscented Yankee's, the throw on this puppy was enough to fill one whole level of my 3 level home. I noticed the smell quickly too; even before it pooled all the way out. Just how it smelled on cold: fresh, dewy and powdery, it smelled on hot throw. It's a very authentic scent, not manufactured and fake. Very pleasant. I'm thankful for this candle for restoring a little faith in me for Yankee Candle. The last 2 burns of this candle had a more light scent throw, and got moved to a bathroom so that it could perform strongly in a smaller room.

Wax Performance: When I first popped the lid on this candle, it seemed moist. The wax was glossy, and there was what I call a "condensation" ring around the bottom half of the candle. I could tell that it was loaded with fragrance oil! I was like a kid in a candy shop; mouth watering! I just KNEW that it was going to be a strong thrower. After the first few burns, probably due to the saturation of oil in the wax, my candle started to not want to pool out, even after hours and hours. So, I helped the little guy out with wrapping it in foil to reflect the heat back into the candle and force the wax to pool out correctly. It helped, and every subsequent burn --I had to foil it--until the last 2 burns which I suppose I had burned off the excess oil at which time it returned to pooling out normally without foil intervention. The closer down to the bottom I got, the wax became more oily. The candle was actually glossy after I blew it out and let the wax cool. See below.




The final few times I lit the candle, I was greeted by fragrance oil that had seeped to the top!




I got kinda excited about all the fragrance oil, and while this candle was a very fragrant little thrower, the burn was troublesome due to all the oil, and I had to foil the candle all the way until it's final burn. It's a shame because I like the Yankee jar candles to display their beautiful flickering flames and pretty labels, but this candle was just looking like the Tin Man all bundled up! Exotic Bloom was just all scent and no display in this case, and for that I was a bit sad. 

Overall: While this candle was a great scent thrower that made me happy once again with Yankee Candle, the performance of the wax and the saturation of oils put it in a tricky spot; one which I was happy when it was finally over for Exotic Bloom. The scent is great, but very similar to others done before by Yankee, such as Blue Hydrangea. If you like soft, dewy florals then this candle is worth a sniff! I'm sure that the odd burn I had with this candle is an isolated incident, and I will continue to burn Yankee's--but I won't feel the need to stock up on multiples of this particular scent.



No comments:

Post a Comment