Thursday, February 11, 2016

719 Walnut Avenue's Ocean Mist: Candle Review







Today I am going to review one of my favorites from this company: Ocean Mist from 719 Walnut Avenue. This candle is a 14 oz, 3-wick candle with a bright blue sky colored wax that pools out to a translucent cornflower blue color. On the label is an ocean wave curling in the current. Surfs up, bro! I was so pleasantly surprised to fall in love with this candle, but I will get in to that in a few.

The scent description on this candle reads:


Cold Sniff: On cold this was a light, fresh scent. I was certain that it would be a light thrower-better suited for a small room like a bathroom. Bathrooms like fresh smelling candles right? Its very fitting. I noted an ambiguous aquatic note-slightly salt water-ish, with a rounding out of a masculine note. I am over the masculine scents, like for-real for-real. BUT, once again I was at Walmart and just had to buy every candle that I could find from 719. I hadn't seen this scent before so I thought, why not. I really didn't give this scent any other thoughts on cold sniff, and that kind of sucks for me. That means I'm not impressed.

Hot Throw: Holy shizz guys, scratch the record, REWIND! I take back what I said about this candle being un-impressive. I was pleasantly surprised that this candle not only filled my master suite, but also gently wafted out into the upstairs hallway. It was a medium throw, about a 6, which is all I want for my upstairs. The part that I obsess over is the actual scent. It was a smell I have never smelled before, and in a world of constant re-packaging, scents seem to be more recycled than ever before. This was a breath of fresh-air LITERALLY! The most simple way I can describe this scent is like a clean aquatic-type smell~so here goes...a blend of Windex with a dash of a sexy man! Ha! I mean this in the best possible way! I swear it's so good! It's got a clean smell similar to a Windex (minus the nasty ammonia smell) and a masculine note (minus bergamot). This is a great candle to light after you clean the home for a gentle, good clean smell that ISN'T laundry soap, or cotton-y. It's gentle, it's soft, it covers you like a warm blanket-or better yet, a clean, white sheet just taken off the line from drying in the fresh air. It is a relaxing scent that I actually left burning to put me to sleep. It is comforting and relaxing and I just can't say enough great things about it. If you like more aquatic-fresh smells than this candle is a great one to try!

Wax Performance: This candle like Sunny Sangria performed better than candles from this company in the past. The wax pooled out deeply and with the most beautiful blue liquid. The wicks stayed in place, didn't need trimming and didn't cause soot. The wax color stayed the original summer blue-sky blue and didn't discolor-even better than most BBW candles do. Towards the end of the candle, I'd say the last 2 burns, I needed to cotton ball this candle due to some puny wicks. Scent throw was wonderful all the way up until it burned itself out.

Overall: This candle hit me in a nostalgic spot, I think, which is why I felt so strangely in love with this scent. It was different than any others I have smelled, it had the ability to calm me (like I'm a raving lunatic or something) and the color of the wax and wax pool are some of my favorite shades of blue. This candle is the perfect example of why it's not good to judge a book by it's cover--so to speak. It's hot throw out shined its cold-sniff and proved to be worthy of me picking up duplicates of this candle. Call it luck, call it love, or call it my own personal blend of happy, I am satisfied with the gentle clean breeze of Ocean Mist. And I think you'd be too!

No comments:

Post a Comment