Tuesday, January 26, 2016

719 Walnut Avenue: "Mahogany Driftwood" Candle Review


This candle review is on 719 Walnut Avenue's: "Mahogany Driftwood", a 14oz, 3-wick candle. This brand is sold at Walmart for roughly $4.93. They are said to be "dupes" for Bath & Body Works. They look similarly with how they are packaged, so I agree there. I was curious about this brand due to how similar they look to BBW, but for so much less money. I just HAD to try them for myself! My Walmart didn't have a very big selection of these candles, but I bought one of each sent they had. I am going to have to try other Wal Marts to see their offerings. This is the first scent I burned, so I will just let the review speak for itself...keep reading...

The scent description written on the candle is: "The cologne of mahogany and cedar wood are rounded with light floral notes."

Cold Sniff: a masculine fragrance, can't put my finger on any individual scent--since I don't think I'm smelling mahogany or cedar wood...it's not a bergamot masculine, its something else...I apologize for my lack of words here. It's like a men's Axe-type shower gel..a manufactured men's scent with a mishmash of masculine notes blended into one.

Hot Throw: On the first burn, I got no scent whatsoever but a burnt, waxy smell. Like a crayon. I have always heard of people experiencing this with some candles, but never thought it would be me. Alas, I got my chance with this puppy.On the second burn, there was less, and I say less because it was still present, of a waxy smell, and a very faint Mahogany Driftwood poked through ~that is what I will call it because I can't pick out the individual scent notes~. Yet still, no throw. I had to waft the candle to my nose to smell anything at all.

Wax Performance: The wax which was similar to Bath & Body works both visually and by touch, performed much like its relative, burning cleanly, evenly and with no sooting. The wax burns slower, however, than Bath & Body works, which I like because lets face it-- I think Bath & Body Works candles burn to quickly. The wicks were spaced more closely together as well and were very tall. I didn't cut them at all, and once I lit the wicks they shrank down to a normal size and remained that way until the candle burned itself out.

Overall: I was disappointed by this candles hot throw, I was hoping, really hoping, that it would be just as strong as Bath & Body Works candles. I have read a lot of other reviews on this particular candle and it seems that most others thought that it was very highly scented, so maybe it is just a matter of opinion or maybe I just got a bad batch. Either way, I would not repurchase this scent, but I would try a different scent that 719 Walnut Avenue has to offer, because I have faith that this candle company is a derivative of Bath & Body Works (they are too similar not to be, right?!). I have other scents yet to burn and review so my fingers are crossed that I have found the next best thing, and something to tithe me over from my overpriced Bath & Body Works 3 wick candle obsession!

No comments:

Post a Comment