Thursday, March 17, 2016

719 Walnut Avenue's: Tiki Colada Candle Review


Today's review is on the 14oz, 3 wick candle, Tiki Colada, from the company 719 Walnut Avenue. The wax is a milky white which pools out to a golden yellow. This candle was $5 from Walmart.

The scent description reads: Toes in the sand, and a tiki colada in your hand. The ultimate tropical mix with pineapple, orange and coconut.

Cold Sniff: On cold sniff its a very sweet, coco-nutty pina colada scent. I was ALL OVER this scent because pina coladas are my favorite! I wanted to smell this candle all day, heck, I even wanted to eat this candle. It smelled so delicious, so potent I was excited to light it up.

Hot Throw: What a bummer, man! This candle had virtually no throw. That's right kids, the delectable, strong impression I got on cold-sniff was a ghost of the past once I light this puppy up. *Insert sad-face here* I had this candle burning downstairs in my split-level and had no clue it was even burning. Even hours after the wax pool deepened there was no scent throw. This was like the 719 Walnut Ave candle Honeysuckle Jasmine (not reviewed on here because of the lackluster performance)-a truly lovely cold-sniff experience with no hot-throw euphoria.  While I did notice a waft of fragrance here and there once I moved it to a smaller bedroom, it was nothing special. I was just hoping it would burn out quickly so that I could move on to another candle. If you are looking for an exact number here, I'd say it was a 2 or 3/10.

Wax Performance: The wax seemed a little troubled with this candle, sticking to the sides of the glass jar, not wanting to burn the cleanest. If left it burning for a long enough time it would correct itself out, but there was still something off about this wax burn with this candle. It seemed like it never got hot enough to really burn the wax well, which tells me that it was something about the wax blend itself--as the wicks never got puny or discolored.  I just let the candle do its thing, undisturbed in the upstairs bedroom. Like an invalid in the late 1800's early 1900's who was locked in an attic never to see the light of day (I can't believe people could be so cruel in those days) I just lit and forgot about this candle.

Overall: This candle was a bore in so many ways. It never had a "worthy" scent throw, the wax was troubled and if you really want to pick bones here-the label wasn't that awesome and the wax color was blah. I would NOT repurchase this candle. Which is too bad because I love this coconut blend smell. If you are looking for a strong smelling coconut-hit up BBW. At least you are guaranteed a scent throw from them. Coconuts, man!


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with this candle. I burned through ( ha ha pun intended ) four of these babies this summer. They made my whole house smell fabulous!! I am burning my last one ( #5 ) right now and am on the hunt for more. Mine have a different label from yours so maybe they are from a different batch. This candle gets two enthusiastic thumbs up from me. Great throw, long burn and not a budget buster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw you're so lucky you got a great throw on Tiki Colada! Jealous :-)

      Delete